In “Churchquake: How the New Apostolic Reformation Is Shaking Up the Church As We Know It”, C. Peter Wagner presents a case that the church is either dead or dying in the West. He presents some ways of avoiding these “Tombstones” of the church :
SEVEN WAYS TO AVOID TOMBSTONE MARKERS
- NO ACADEMIA. New apostolic churches do not allow degrees to become prerequisites for ordination. In most apostolic networks, having a degree or desiring one is not a qualification for ministry. Degrees are clearly optional. Exceptions are networks such as Morningstar International whose target audience is undergraduate and graduate college students.
- A NEW BREED OF FACULTY IS SURFACING.
- Historians are replaced by visionaries.
- Biblical exegetes are replaced by cultural exegetes.
- Theologians are replaced by entrepreneurs.
- Critics are replaced by cheerleaders.
- Distinguished scholars are replaced by dynamic pastors.
Professors are favored who have the ability to impart life and vision and anointing to the students. When I am invited to teach in a new apostolic school, I ask the dean what they want me to teach. They often reply, “You can teach anything you want!” The message behind that statement is, obviously, that they are asking me to come to provide impartation, not information. The information will be there, of course, but it is not primary.
- CURRICULUM IS BROAD AND PRACTICAL
- History of dogma is now history of revivals
- Greek is now Bible software including Strong’s Concordance
- Homiletics is now preaching
- Exegesis of certain books is now English New Testament survey
- Epistemology is now prophetic intercession.
I recently perused catalogs of new apostolic training institutions and found many course titles I would never expect to see listed in traditional seminary catalogs. Most established faculty members would have no idea what might be the possible content of such courses. Some examples:
- Demonology Exposed; Destiny and Leadership; Perils of Pastoring (Eagles Nest Training Institue, Gary Greenwald).
- Nurture of Prophetic Ministry; Missions and Church Planting Vision; Intercession for Revival (Grace Training Centre; Mike Bickle)
- Roots of Character; Understanding the Anointing I and II; Building a Strong Spirit; Diplomacy, Protocol and Tact (Spirit Life Bible College, Roberts Liardon).
- Vision; City-Taking Strategies; Apostles and Apostolic Ministry; Communion with God (Impact School of Ministry, David Cannistraci)
Next week on Signposts02 a Doctor with a strong flash-light shows us where all this amazing new knowledge comes from.