Things I Don’t Understand
My friend Chris had a killer post, listing some things that he just didn’t understand. Here’s a few of my favorites:
- Folks that show up to church only a few times a year but expect the pastor to drop everything to provide them with his undivided attention.
- People that put nothing in the offering plate but still have the stones to expect that their opinions on the church should count.
- Parents who ground their children from church or the youth group…the very things that could help them with their behavior, future and afterlife.
- People that expect the pastor to tolerate their political views…but leave the church because of his.
- The occasional volunteer that expects the church to throw a parade in their honor just because they finally did what the Bible commanded.
- People that have basked in the grace of God…but fail to give grace to anyone else.
- Pastors that leave one church for another…for better pay.
- The need for church growth plans, programs, books, conference, seminars and resource kits…when we already have the Bible
- Women that tolerate their husbands having multiple affairs…”for the sake of the kids”.
- Pastors that would rather be political pundits or civil rights leaders…instead of just preaching the life-saving message of the Word of God.
- People that have one spiritual standard for their pastor…and another for themselves.
- Folks that think the word ‘disciple’ is a noun…and not a verb.
- People that make comments about needing to go “deeper” in God’s Word…as if there is a Scripture in the Bible that isn’t deep.
- Pastors that think accountability means never asking them the tough questions or taking the hard line when it comes to their failure to follow Scripture.
- Men that think being the head of the household has something to do with the amount of money they are bringing in or the title they acquire at work.